Thursday 2 June 2011

Thoughts

I might actually have a regular feature with this one. So thoughts:

1) Fincher on my Mind- The first leaked and then official teaser trailers for David Fincher's adaptation of Stieg Larsson's acclaimed thriller The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo came out this week. Needless to say, I went nuts. I saw the "apparently" leaked red band one non-stop, started hyperventilating when it got removed, and am now seeing the green band (?) one in similar fashion. And can you blame me? It's fucking Fincher making a thriller! The first time I saw the first trailer, I sat down and watched the Swedish version of the film. It was good, but Fincher and Fincher alone can make it great. I am already predicting falling in love with Rooney Mara and Daniel Craig within the end of this year. So Freaking Excited!

2) This is a continuation of the previous stream of thought- Fincher is apparently directing Cleopatra with Angelina Jolie as the title character. Um... I just can't... can't imagine what it will be like, look like, anything like. I don't know how long this has been in the works, but I just read the IMDb page for the film, and another internet article about it, and my brain has fuzzed over. I had been predicting that Fincher will be making more female-oriented films and dramatic ones, though he is mostly a guy-director. Yes there was Aliens 3 and Panic Room, and Marla Singer and Daisy...but Fincher seems like a guy's-guy. I think Jolie will be fine, as a cousin of mine pointed out- she is part of the Fincher-Pitt family, but still I cannot fathom what the film will be like. I was a bit skeptical about The Social Network too originally, and see how that turned out. Here's hoping it will be just as great.

3) Hungover...again?- I saw Hangover 2 this week. It was good, but honestly the same thing as the first one with a lot more violence involved. Apparently there might be a third one...in Amsterdam. Lots of questions popped into my head after this- Will Alan get married now? Because that will be weird. What will Stu do with the Red Light District hookers of Amsterdam? What animal will they use? How seriously will Phil get injured? And most importantly..WHY, OH WHY WOULD THEY DO IT AGAIN?? Seriously no one is stupid enough to get fucked over 3 times, no matter how funny or insane! (I'll do a quick review soon, after watching X-Men probably.)

4) Sequels- Peter Jackson-directed The Hobbit, will now be divided into two parts. I'm fine with it, but it does make me think that Deathly Hallows might have started some sort of a trend now. Sad names though- The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey and The Hobbit: There and Back Again. How does one compare something like Fellowship of the Ring to There and Back Again...it sounds like a Backstreet Boys song for crying out loud! Also a sequel that I have personally been waiting for is finally in works...or is it? Paramount has apparently set the release date of Star Trek 2 next year June...despite the fact that there is no script or director or actors. I thought Star Trek was brilliant, and as much as I want to see a sequel, I really don't want it to be crap due to limited time and rushed production.

ALSO-


Okay...personal thoughts over. How about yours?

2 comments:

  1. I don't think I will ever get over Noomi Rapace as Lisbeth in the Girl with the Dragon tatoo. I'm sure Rooney Mara will do a fine job, but I just love the Swedish version so much! And I'm still trying to get over Fincher directing 20,000 Leagues under the sea, hahaha.

    I don't mind the Hobbit names. 'An unexpected journey' is very similar to the first chapter of the book 'An unexpected party'. And 'There and back again' is what Bilbo ends up calling his book, so I'm happy (Major Tolkien nerd/fan here, lol)
    The trailer does look absolutely amazing though for 'Dragon tattoo' :) I'm starting to think the movie might be as good as the original.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked Noomi Rapace, but I have great faith in Rooney Mara. Fincher does have weird choices, doesn't he??

    I haven't read the Hobbit..and I knew about the There and Back Again part, but it just...I dunno. Well atleast it's not something like Ghost Protocol right? And it will be brilliance.

    I really really think Fincher's Dragon Tattoo will be much better than the original.

    ReplyDelete