I kind of went on a list-making frenzy when I started with my end-of-year lists. These are the ones I won't be making separate posts for because of time constraint, but they are awesome nonetheless. Also, my favourite performances and films will be up soon.
- Silva, Skyfall- A Bond film is only as good as its villain, and my god, I loved both of them.
- Bane, The Dark Knight Rises- Not easy following Heath Ledger's footsteps, but Tom Hardy did a great, powerful job.
- People, The Cabin in the Woods/ Paranorman/ The Hunt- People suck.
- Joe, Looper- Love the concept of your older self being the baddie. Bruce Willis was super cool.
- The Amazing Spider-Man- For being a shit, unnecessary film and wasting Emma Stone.
- Old Age, Amour- We are all going to die.
- Hugo Weaving characters, Cloud Atlas- Weaving is one of my favourite villain-playing actors and here, he goes from being an oppressive nurse to an assassin to the devil himself.
- Joe, Killer Joe- Oh Matthew McConaughey, you creepy, creepy man. Never set foot in KFC.
- Stephen, Django Unchained- I found him so much more villainous than his master Candie. A total bastard.
Biggest Villain of 2012- Loki, The Avengers
As I had written in my review, it isn't easy for a relative newcomer like Tom Hiddleston to hold his own against so many big actors playing such super persons, but he does it with a lot of snarkiness and aplomb.
- Hushpuppy. Beasts of the Southern Wild- Brave, wild, amazing.
- Hulk, The Avengers- Mark Ruffalo and Joss Whedon have made me a fan of the big, green, rage monster. Smash all the aliens! And Thor! And Loki!
- Patrick, The Perks of Being a Wallfower- Oh god, I want a best friend like him!
- Selina Kyle, The Dark Knight Rises- Best part of the film by a batmile.
- Fat Amy, Pitch Perfect- Aca-awesome.
- James Bond, Skyfall- A human Bond is just that much cooler.
- Richard Parker, Life of Pi- Magnificent.
- Princess Merida, Brave- Pixar has given us a great first heroine.
- Tiffany, Silver Linings Playbook/ Weird Girl, Frankenweenie- Because they're both weird and awesome and are going to become my role models (hey, this is my list!).
Best Character of 2012- Marty, The Cabin in the Woods
A prophet and a badass? He is going to become a cult god. Great work by Fran Kranz.
- Cloud Atlas- Just look at all the actors and ALL the characters they portray.
- Django Unchained- Tarantino might just have outdid himself with this cast.
- Skyfall- Craig, Dench, Fiennes, Bardem, Whishaw. Stellar.
- Silver Linings Playbook- There is a reason why this is the first film in 31 years to get nominations in all four acting categories. Love the other supporting actors too, most notably, Anupam Kher.
- The Dark Knight Rises- I don't care about Batman half as much as I do about Alfred, Gordon and Fox. And in this we get Selina and Blake too. Plus, love it when Cillian Murphy shows up.
Best Ensemble of 2012- The Avengers
- Everything Suzy Bishop, Moonrise Kingdom- Another memorable Wes Anderson female character with a penchant for individualistic fashion.
- The surgery machine, Prometheus- When I was sick last year, I kept wishing for this machine so that I could get cured in jiffy. Mighty useful it would be.
- Joe's gun, Looper- Uber awesome.
- Shawarma, The Avengers- I, for one, am very happy that Shawarmas are getting the respect and love they deserve.
- Kirsten Dunst's bitchface, Bachelorette- To master that would be a dream.
- The Aston Martin, Skyfall- Try and tell me that your heart didn't skip a beat when this first appeared in the movie.
- The time machine, Safety Not Guaranteed- Because I need one. Woodstock is waiting for me!
- Bong cup, The Cabin in the Woods- Do I need to explain myself?
- The Bat, The Dark Knight Rises- Do I need to explain myself again?
Coolest Object of 2012- Princess Merida's Hair, Brave
I made this list so that I can have Merida's wondrous, fiery tresses topping a list. I can build an altar to them.
Favourite Quotes of 2012-
(in descending order)