Monday 17 February 2014

Thoughts

       I know I keep changing the day of publishing these posts but I am really going to try and keep it on Sundays from now on. Anyways, here are my movie thoughts-

1) David Fincher will direct the pilot of Utopia, the American remake of a British series of the same name about a group of people who find a cult graphic novel called "The Utopia Experiments" that predicts all sorts of disasters and try to stop them while an organisation called The Network is set out to intercept their attempts. This sounds like a pretty cool project and Gillian Flynn, the author of Gone Girl, will also be involved as a producer. I just read Gone Girl and absolutely loved it and am now super duper excited for the movie adaptation, being directed by Fincher of course. The most amazing thing is that I am now totally for the Ben Affleck casting- it's perfect! Ditto with Neil Patrick Harris. Flynn seems like a really talented writer and I can't wait to read her other novels. Fincher is the ideal director for this movie. I can imagine it being something with Fight Club-esque narration, editing a la The Social Network, badass heroine/twisted leads like The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, and it also has a lot to do with crime and media so bits of Se7en and Zodiac too. And also the new ending is something to look forward to. After reading the novel, it has jumped up to being #2 on my most anticipated 2014 films list (since we're never going to get any promotional stuff for How to Catch A Monster EVER. Wtf, Gos?). Yaay!!

2) Greta Gerwig will write, produce and star in How I Met Your Dad, a spin-off show of How I Met Your Mother. This is a bit depressing. Gerwig was so excellent in Frances Ha, both as the lead and co-writer, that to see her in a spin-off television show is kind of shocking. I do like that she's writing and producing and hence she'll have more control on the show, which is apparently about a "female Peter Pan" whose one-year marriage is now failing. This actually doesn't sound a great deal like How I Met Your Mother but the fact that it will be on CBS is apparently a bad idea ('apparently' because I don't really know or care about American networks unless they are HBO). We'll see how this goes.

3) Ellen Page, who came out earlier this week (yaaay, go Juno!), will star in Freeheld, a movie based on the documentary of the same name about a woman, Stace Andree, who was denied pension benefits of her longtime partner, Laurel Hester, when the latter became terminally ill. Page will play Andree and Julianne Moore will play Hester. Zach Galifianakis will also join the cast as the activist Steve Goldstein who helps Andree in her court battle. Peter Sollett, who directed Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist, is going to be at the helm. This is a pretty neat cast and it will be nice to see Page doing interesting roles again.

4) Have you guys read the alternative ending to Gravity? Sheesh, bleak stuff! The entire interview with Alfonso Cuarón is quite interesting actually. Also, the Jack O'Connell interview is pretty cool. It's nice to see someone so figured out and not blind after fame and stuff, though I do think this is going to be a huge year for him.

5) All the Best Original Song nominees (minus "Alone Yet Not Alone" obviously) will sing at the 86th Academy Awards come March 3rd. The one I am most excited about is this one-
My crush on Spike Jonze grows daily. I wish he would play on Oscar day too.

6) Trailers- The second trailer of Transcendence has Johnny Depp upping the creepy. I do like the idea of him being the baddie and Rebecca Hall and Paul Bettany being the heroes. The teaser of Tammy is fucking hilarious. Melissa McCarthy is a comic god.

7) Finally, I know I have to find like new hot people to put on this blog every week but just look at Benedict Cumberbatch!!!
Cumberbatch looks younger than I am and he was in his early-to-mid 30s then! How do these Brits do it, man? Also, I really want Martin Freeman's jumper.


Byeeeeeee!

12 comments:

  1. LOL his hair is the cutest thing. So Gerwig will play the mother? I was hoping they'd keep the same actress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is!
      I don't think any of the HIMYM people will be there.

      Delete
  2. Cuaron must have been joking about that ending, right? I mean it sounds like something from dark comedy. Tammy looks freaking hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hearing Karen O perform will be a win for me at the Oscars. Im curious about the new show that Greta Gerwig is in but the fact it is a spin off makes me a bit hesitant. Thanks for the updates

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be a win for all of us.
      You're welcome :)

      Delete
  4. I kinda hate hearing that about Gerwig. I'm a big fan of hers but I would love to see her in bigger roles on the big screen. I really think she is an underappreciated actress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In complete agreement with what you said here. I need to see her earlier indie work though.

      Delete
  5. I'm glad Freeheld is finally getting off the ground. Page has been attached to that for ages it seems like. I think the HIMYM spin off sounds like such a horrible idea. I hope Gerwig makes it better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard. I hope both these projects work out.

      Delete
  6. Blah. I hope Greta Gerwig continues to make movies. I'd hate to see her end up working mostly in TV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh me too! She has the other Baumbach film lined up, thank god.

      Delete