1) MOST IMPORTANT NEWS EVER of the week- THE NEW SHERLOCK SERIES WILL START FILMING NEXT WEEK! ZOMG! I have been waiting for this so long that it almost feels unreal. The actual show will obviously air next year so our stars aren't *that* lucky. But man, o man, so effing excited! Benedict Cumberbatch has also let it leak that there will indeed be a fourth series, though when the hell that will happen is something I am almost frightened to speculate about. Also THIS. Idiots.
2) Michael Fassbender has dropped out of Lynn Ramsay's Jane's Got a Gun. This is unfortunate, but Jude Law is joining instead which is great because it will be a reunion with his Closer-costar, Natalie Portman. Law won't be actually replacing Fassy's character. Joel Edgerton, who was already in the cast, will be now playing the role intended for Fassy and Law will in turn play Edgerton's former character. Fassy on the other hand, has joined the Sin City sequel, which is the reason why I rewatched the movie last week despite my qualms against it, or rather the ickiness of it. The things I do for actors I worship.
3) Sequels everywhere- There are talks about a sequel to the Wizard of Oz prequel, Oz the Great and the Powerful (which you can hear me talking about in The Matineecast). I knew this will happen. But apparently Sam Raimi isn't going to be directing it. I liked Oz, but I really don't see a point of a sequel. Speaking of, Danny Boyle wants to make a sequel of Trainspotting with the original cast. WHY?! That film is perfect. Leave it be. And I know Ewan McGregor will definitely come back because as amazing as he is, he isn't the most discerning of actors when it comes to choosing good roles (I'm looking at you, Jack the Giant Slayer). A sequel I am actually excited about is the one to Tintin, which is a film I loved. Peter Jackson will be directing this one and it is said to release in 2015.
4) Christopher Nolan will be directing a huge sci-fi film next called Interstellar. Nolan's one of the few filmmakers who can make a massive blockbuster without insulting anyone's intelligence, and the synopsis thus far sounds really cool- "The film will depict a heroic interstellar voyage to the furthest reaches of our scientific understanding." Can't wait!
5) Trailers- A really good week. I already spoke in detail about The Bling Ring teaser, which has made me v. excited indeed. Another trailer that I have been watching on repeat is of Much Ado About Nothing. This too is one of my most anticipated films of the year and I think it looks excellent. The Hangover 3 just may not be awful. We'll see. Pedro Almodovar's I'm So Excited looks brilliant. Apparently this film has a more Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown vibe, so yaay! Look of Love has a really good cast and I absolutely adore Steve Coogan. Kick-Ass 2 has a red-band trailer out. This might be really terrible, but seeing how fun the first one was and the inclusion of Jim Carrey in this, I am still looking forward to it a lot. Finally, the latest teaser of Star Trek Into Darkness is the best one yet and Cumberbatch looks ahmazing!
6) Finally, Joaquin Phoenix in The Adventures of Superboy (1989)-