"Run you clever boy. And remember."
When the news of the departure of the beloved Doctor Who companions, the Ponds, was announced, I was pretty crushed and didn't think it was possible for the next companion to be able to fill their shoes because this was an incredible pair! However, with the first episode of series 7, "The Asylum of the Daleks", we got a glimpse of Oswin Oswald, played by Jenna-Louise Coleman, who was to be the new companion. I was drawn to her immediately, with her sauciness and flirtation. I don't think I have ever liked a companion as quickly as I liked her. Even in the case of Donna Noble, I only truly fell for her in "Partners in Crime" and not "The Runaway Bride". Oswin died in that episode and we saw her next in "The Snowmen" (7x06), but as Clara, the barmaid-cum-governess. I liked even her more there, and she died again. I was as baffled by this as the Doctor was, but there is obviously something big at work here.
She has been dubbed "The Impossible Girl". Who is the "woman twice dead"? Why is her birthday on the same date as Doctor Who's first broadcast, 23rd November? This is especially significant seeing how there is going to be the all-amazing 50th Anniversary this year on that day, as we can surmise by Matt Smith's reaction. All the theories flying about are either plausible or totally crazy.
- "Clara Oswin Oswald" is an anagram "a window across all"- that actually sounds like a clue.
- There is also the fact that she seems to wear a lot of red, asks the Doctor to remember her, had snow in both her episodes- don't know how this will come into play. Red is apparently the colour of resurrection.
- People say she is Jenny, the Doctor's daughter- EW. She kissed him in "The Snowmen" you pervs!
- Or that she is the daughter of Rose Tyler and Ten 2. People are basing this on the fact that she seems to sorta regenerate and that the bar Clara worked in in "The Snowmen" is called The Rose and the Crown- again, this feels a bit incestuous to me and I don't think Steven Moffat is going to draw that much from Russell T. Davies's run.
- That she is Captain Jack Harness's daughter- um, that can make sense.
- River regenerated as her- no. She used up all her regenerations to revive the Doctor in "Let's Kill Hitler" (6x08). Obviously. Also, River will probably appear in the series finale.
- So Moffat spoke about her, the Doctor and River having some kind of a love triangle between them. Everyone in Tumblr is talking about the romance being between Clara and River instead which though appealing, is something I don't see it happening, sorry. Then again I cannot fathom anyone choosing anyone over the Doctor, unless that person is Rory Williams.
- Clara is allergic to the Doctor and hence dies at the end of every episode- this was *exactly* my theory. Also, I am Alfred the Great.
- She is CAL from "Silence in the Library" (4x08)/"Forest of the Dead" (4x09)- this can be logical in Who terms.
- She is the TARDIS- some of these clues *are* definite clues. Just have to know to what.
These are some of the conjectures about Clara Oswin Oswald. We just have to wait and see which of these, if any, come true. And of course, who she is.