Friday 13 April 2012

Thoughts

          I'm going back to India tomorrow. Have to reemerge myself into college hunting. Hurrah! Not. The packing and shite made me late. Apologies.


1) Many films have released photos this week. First we have the new James Bond flick, Skyfall. Daniel Craig is at his broody best here. I'm excited about Ralph Fiennes and the whole film will be made for me if he out-Judi Dench-s Judy Dench. Also how much does his shot remind you of this one? 'Arry Waters forever! Then there are The Dark Knight Rises pictures. I like Anne Hathaway as Catwoman till now, and I like how pop art-esque this picture is. Finally there are Wes Anderson's Moonrise Kingdom picitures. I'm already in love with this film. It's so beautiful to look at- that last picture is now my desktop background.


2) Speaking of beautiful-looking films, which 2012 releases do you think will join the list of The Tree of Life and Melancholia etc. from last year? There are the two (?) Terrence Malick films and Moonrise Kingdom for sure. Then just the thought of how Alfonso Cuarón's Gravity can possibly look like gives me the chills. Ang Lee's Life of Pi will most probably have a very interesting look, since it is essentially just on a lifeboat. The Hobbit will look awesome, no doubt. Prometheus has a very dark and cool look. Any other that I am forgetting?


3) Apparently in the Untitled Terrence Malick project with Ben Affleck and Rachel McAdams, Jessica Chastain has totally been cut out. Haw. I am appalled! She is the personification grace, after all. Also I don't like Ben Affleck.


4) I watched my first Ingmar Bergman film yesterday! Wild Strawberries, which is just beautiful. I actually had a meaningful dream last night after that. I am definitely going to watch more of his films. I crossed the 100 new-to-me films mark for this year too. I hope I can reach the 300 films mark by the end of this year. It will be a bit more difficult in India now. And I absolutely have to start Satyajit Ray's and Werner Herzog's filmographies (little hesitant about the latter).


5) Anyone who reads this blog and watches Bollywood films, I want to ask a question that has been plaguing me for a while now. Is this the worst era of Bollywood? I think so, but in all honesty I barely watch Bollywood films anymore and so I know I am missing on the better ones. Therefore I don't want to sound presumptuous or condescending without knowing any facts.


6) Everyone see this NOW!! Best thing ever. I don't want to post any other trailers.


7) Okay no. There is the Brave featurette in which Princess Merida introduces herself. I love her. I love her hair. I want to marry her hair. Okay I'll stop now. And there is the Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Bruce Willis timey-wimey-wibbly-wobbly (quick Doctor Who reference for you) film Looper, in which JGL is a total badass. I like it. It has the adorable Emily Blunt too.


8) Finally, just after the announcement of Nicole Kidman as Grace Kelly, these photos of Charlize Theron, for British Vogue magazine came out- 
Speaking of me wanting to marry things...


I need to watch Monster. Young Adult has totally turned me around.

14 comments:

  1. 1. Charlize Theron looks fantastic in those pictures. She and Fassy need to hook up right now!
    2. The Looper trailer is pretty amazing- I like it, but is it just me or does JGL look weird?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think JGL may look weird because of the make-up he had put on when filming to make him look like Bruce Willis.

      Delete
    2. @Aziza- She does and they do!!

      @Aziza and Cherokee- Yes he looks weird on account of the make-up. He looks pretty badass.

      Delete
  2. Glad you liked Wild Strawberries. It is one of my favorite Bergman movies. Go for something like Seventh Seal or Fanny and Alexander. You will like them too.

    As for the Bollywood, even I think that they are going through slack since last couple of years. I keep on saying that I have seen more movies in around 6-7 different languages than Hindi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestions. I will see these soon.

      Yes I'm pretty much on the same boat. I'm seeing other Asian films and they seem to be on a whole different level.

      Delete
  3. Bergman can be amazing! Glad you liked. I don't know who Ray is, tho

    Don't go to India! All they've got is... awesome food and.. women with perfect hair

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Satyajit Ray was a very influential Indian filmmaker. Scorsese is a huge fan.

      Hahahaha. I am Indian, dude! :P

      Delete
    2. Lol I guessed.

      I wasn't joking about the food tho, or the hair

      Delete
  4. Yes, I totally agree with on the Bollywood point. This is the worst era. There are some good movies here and there but most of the movies are bad rip offs of Hollywood movies plus some very bad acting and mediocre dialogues. The worst thing about them is, they somehow make enough money to encourage the producers to make some more movies like those.
    Since I have commented, I would also make a suggestion. Watch 'Gulaal' directed by Anurag Kashyap, assuming you haven't. Its not the best of the movies [just being polite, it is the best hindi movie].

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, totally agree with you there.
      I haven't seen Gulaal. Will check it out soon.
      Thanks for the suggestion and the comment Vineet :)

      Delete
  5. OMG That pic of Charlize Theron made me drool all over my keyboard!!!

    Yea sad to hear Jessica Chastain won't be in the upcoming Malick movie but I guess the part was very minor anyway and she was expecting it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I saw the magazine at the airport and wanted to tear it out. So gorgeous.

      I suppose so. But she's such a hot commodity right now... it's still a bit unexpected.

      Delete
  6. You weren't a fan of Theron before? I can recommend "North Country" and "Astronaut's Wife" the movie is so-so but her performance was amazing. As for the beautiful looking movies I'm sure it will be "On the Road" and the other one Dunst is doing, something about the world being upside down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I wasn't. I didn't hate her or anything. I was indifferent. I will check them out.

      Oh yes On the Road looks amazing. Can't believe I forgot that :P And yeah, the other Kirsten Dust movie also looks visually interesting.

      Delete