Sunday 4 May 2014

The Month that was- April

      April was a pretty slow month. My vacations/study leave started so I've been lazing around. I did watch 23 movies and finally started watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer which is already among my top 10 shows of all time.

Firsts:
1) Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues- Not remotely as funny as the first one but some cool ideas at its centre. Some of the cameos were beautiful though.
2) Captain America: The Winter Soldier- Absolute love! Such a smart movie but still loads of fun. I really think Captain America might be my favourite avenger. Listen to more of my thoughts here.
3) Birth- Quite beautiful and interesting. Really good performance by Nicole Kidman.
4) Stranger than Fiction- I absolutely adored it. So sweet and smart and funny and sad.
5) Noah- Surprisingly liked it loads. Entertaining, gorgeous, thought-invoking and most importantly, Russell Crowe didn't make me want to puke.
6) Warrior- Pretty good, especially acting-wise.
7) My Blueberry Nights- Blehhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
8) Ram Leela- In-flight movie. Not half-bad although it goes on for too long.
9) What's Your Number?- It is amazing how much I can like a movie if it has Chris Evans stripping in it.
10) Love and Death- It was kinda funny but it just got too much.
11) Cabaret- Awesome.
12) Enemy- What a mindfuck that was. One of the most atmospheric movies I have seen.
13) Robocop- My little brother made me watch this and it was soooo mental and soooo fun.
14) Judgement at Nuremberg- I was incredibly impressed and moved. Definitely among the most important films that I have ever seen.
15) In Your Eyes- This is such a Bollywood movie if you think about it. I liked it.
16) That Awkward Moment- Pretty boring but man, Miles Teller has like crazy charisma!
17) Clue- Brilliance itself. I loved it.
18) Hallam Foe- As much as I love Jamie Bell, this was one weird film.
19) The Killers- Really interesting and engaging. Ava Gardner was so gorgeous!


Rewatched:
1) This is Spinal Tap- I'm trying to educate my brother. He liked it but not so much :/
2) Monty Python and the Holy Grail- He loved this one. Yay!
3) Sex, Lies and Videotape- Still the sexiest movie I have ever seen.
4) Monsoon Wedding- This film rules! It has my favourite cinematic wedding proposal of all time.


TV shows:
1) Parks and Recreation, season 6- I think the season started somewhat weak but it got really strong by the end. I will miss Chris forever. a) Favourite episode- "Moving Up". There's a reason why people thought it was the series finale. They got all the old and new favourites and had a blast. But having watched it, I really hope they continue the series for several more seasons. b) MVP- Chris Pratt as Andy Dwyer and Adam Scott as Ben Wyatt. Even though Pratt wasn't there for a major part of the season, his full-blown return reminded me why he's so awesome and hilarious. And Scott's drunk Ben is the best. c) Favourite quotes- Ron: "Dear frozen yogurt, you are the celery of desserts. Be ice cream or be nothing."
2) Buffy the Vampire Slayer, seasons 1 and 2- Such an awesome show! It is smart, it actually tackles teenage problems and all the characters are excellent and I really like the action too. 
3) Veep, seasons 1 and 2- So funny! Man I love Julia-Louis Dreyfus. Oh and also Jonah/Jonad.


Books:
1) The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith- I really liked it. The ending was a bit slapdash but I liked how detailed the investigation was and also the characters, especially Cormoran Strike.
2) The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick- Seriously the most beautiful book I own.


Final tally:
                                      Firsts- 86                                           Rewatched- 24
                                                                  Total- 110


I have to start studying in May. I'm not sure how much I will blog since all my plans fail. Lessee and may the force be with you.

12 comments:

  1. Noah- I've been hearing this from too many people now, I must watch it. Man, I had the chance to watch it for just about nothing in Sri Lanka...
    Ram-Leela- Still want to see it, at least the actors are the same age. And it's Bhansali so I guess I'll definitely love the visuals.
    Monsoon Wedding- SO good! Needs a re-watch soon.
    Parks and Rec + Buffy- I really need to see these soon.
    The Cuckoo's Calling- It was nice, right? Had a lot of similarities to her other works but it was still very original.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should've taken that chance! Of course you can watch it at home but it's like an epic and deserves to be watched in the theatres.
      Haha yes the actors are the same age in RL :P The visuals are definitely good.

      Watch those shows! And yes I thought Cormoran Strike in particular was v. original.

      Delete
  2. Waaaait, you hadn't seen Warrior until now? Such a good film, that one. Just went so under the radar when it was first released. Captain America is my fave Avenger too. I have the cutest Cap key ring that makes me so happy whenever I have to use my keys, sometimes I just lock my room door *just* so I can show off my keyring.

    Also - think I might be kinda in love with Miles Teller man. Mainly because of The Spectacular Now but I wanna see That Awkward Moment (or Are We Officially Dating as it is called here for some stupid reason) just for him. Argh I just need my copy of The Spectacular Now right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope. It takes me a long time to watch sports movies.
      Aww I would like to buy some Captain America thingy too :P

      I don't know what it is about him. He's not exactly good looking. I mean he's tall and all but no. Still, v. attractive. I wasn't the biggest fan of The Spectacular Now but here's hoping he gets to do some really awesome stuff soon (and I don't mean the Fantastic Four reboot).

      Delete
  3. I love seeing more Stranger Than Fiction love. That was such a sweet little film, and it makes me crave cookies every time.

    Veep is the best. I think it's the funniest show on TV right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is lovely. Also "crave cookies" is an awesome term.

      It's between Veep and Brooklyn Nine Nine for me. I love Parks and Rec but it's so not the funniest anymore.

      Delete
  4. Yes, Buffy! It is one of my favourite shows, too, and season 2 and 3 are probably the best out of the bunch. (Angel and Buffy forever, god dammit!). Season 4, understandably, is the worst and it does take a tonal shift after season 3 which makes sense since the characters are growing up, but there are some definite low points in the show with some helluva annoying characters, too.

    I'll be interested to hear your thoughts when you've wrapped it up, and I'd definitely recommend watching Angel. It goes completely bat shit crazy at around the 3rd season mark, but there are some great characters (Lorne <3) and episodes plus I love the noir-ish feel about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww no! I was really looking forward to season 4, what with Spike returning. I think season 3 is my favourite so far.

      I may watch Angel, especially since Cordelia will be there. I love Cordelia!

      Delete
  5. I'm so glad you enjoyed Buffy! Honestly, S2 or S3 are my favorites, and I think the following seasons are a matter of diminishing returns. But when the ride is good, it is soooo good.

    Well you said it was mental and fun, so you must be talking about the first RoboCop, right? That film is all sorts of wrong, but it's a master class in making an entertaining film by nailing the tone if the movie...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm kind of bummed out to find out that the latter seasons aren't as great :/ Still, I'm hooked!

      Yes I do mean the original Robocop. It's kind of like nothing I have seen.

      Delete
  6. Stranger than Fiction and Clue are just brilliant little movies. They're so much fun!

    "Russell Crowe didn't make me want to puke." That's a win! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are!

      It's such an achievement. I gave the movie points just for that ;)

      Delete