I have said time and time again how much I love the Harry potter films. And in these films, there are certain scenes which, for me, make them all the more brilliant. My favourite scenes can last a few moments, or almost an entire climax, but they make up the entire experience for me. Now I have decided to divide the scenes into various categories, so that ranking becomes easier and saner I suppose.
Favourite Duels in HP films
: The wizarding world is not a very peaceful one. And over there people don't really need swords or guns; they have WANDS! And I love me some good old-fashioned dueling.
- Harry Potter's and Lord Voldemort's final duel in HP8, Molly Weasley and Bellatrix Lestrange also in HP8 (Both were good, but just not what I expected...and they felt rushed).
5) Harry Potter vs Draco Malfoy in Chamber of Secrets
- This for me was Harry Potter's hottest moment- when Malfoy says "Scared Potter,
" and Harry replies, "You wish
." The first duel between Harry's high school nemesis was low on charms and viciousness, but full of the over-dramatic violence that young boys just love.
4) Sirius Black vs Lucius Malfoy in Order of Phoenix
- I love how wand-dueling is sort of like sword-dueling. This duel really shows that- it's Malfoy's polished old school wand skills up against the Russian prisoners-tattooed Sirius's street smart moves. And ofcourse it starts with Sirius punching Malfoy and saying "Step away from my godson
3) Ron, Hermione and Harry vs the Death Eaters in Deathly Hallows, part 1
- This is the first time that the trio are really alone in the world, and immediately are faced with danger. Hermione is especially fiesty here, but the spells zapping around is always fun to watch.
2) Harry Potter vs Lord Voldemort in Goblet of Fire
- Voldemort returns in all his glory, and decides to finish off Harry, but not without mocking and torturing Harry. My favourite part is when Harry comes to face Voldemort, even though he is afraid of him. The Priori Incantatem would happen several times, but this time is my favourite. And the Avada Kedavra vs Expelliarmus thing (wish they did that in HP8).
1) Lord Voldemort vs Albus Dumbledore in Order of Phoenix
- Two of the most powerful wizards in the world face off in an epic duel. There's fire and water, snakes and explosions. I think it's beautifully made, and the close-ups of the devastated Harry keeps it all real.
Favourite Funny Scenes
: The humour in the HP books and films is excellent. One of the things I wished they had put in the films was the character of the boisterous and rude poltergeist Peeves,
"Oh, most think he's barking, the potty wee lad,
But some are more kindly and think he's just sad,
But Peevesy knows better and says that he's mad."
Genius right? But still, the films were full of laughs, mainly owing to the incredible face of Rupert Grint.
Honourable Mentions- Dumbledore talking about his love for knitting patterns in Half Blood Prince (it's one line, but it is just so expected out of the Dumbledore-being-played-by-Michael-Gambon), Hermione and Harry over him being the Chosen One in Half Blood Prince (I recently found a post on Tumblr of this and Hermione hitting Harry, with the caption- Hermione's Rod of Discipline...too funny).
10) Neville talking to the Death Eaters in Deathly Hallows, Part 2- "You and who's army?!" Neville was the main attraction of this film, and this was particularly funny- he was the boy who was forever asking "Why is it always me?" but he really was a hero underneath, and this outburst was only the beginning for him.
9) Ron and McGonagall dance in Goblet of Fire- The embarrassment of a fourteen year-old boy dancing with his um, aged teacher, in front of all his peers- there are few things more brutal, and hilarious.
"My waist, Mr. Weasley."
8) Hermione as Bellatrix Lestrange in Deathly Hallows, part 2- HBC is such a genius. She was able to adapt Hermione's mannerisms perfectly. Again, this was minor, but it's one of the things you end up thinking about and laughing about.
7) Umbridge taking over Hogwarts in Order of Phoenix- Her dictatorship starts small- separating a couple kissing, or repeatedly questioning and well, measuring teachers. The best part, her talking to Snape and Snape's dreary answers.
6) Harry on Felix Felicis in Half Blood Prince- Who knew that getting lucky in Potterlore is like getting high? Harry's outrageous confidence is catchy...I want some Felix too. I especially love how it leaves everyone else extremely perplexed.
5) Practicing Riddikulus in Prisoner of Azkaban- I love the concept of a Boggart and how to banish it. One of the most incredible messages of the stories is the overcoming of fear and sadness, often with humour or happiness. This scene- with Snape and his music and Neville's grandma's clothes, or Ron and the spider on rollerskates, it's genius. The Elvis music helps too.
4) Mrs. Weasley's Howler to Ron in Chamber of Secrets- Rupert Grint's face. 'Nuff said.
3) Fred and George leave school in Order of Phoenix- "You know George, I always felt that our futures lay outside the world of academics." A silent statement, followed by a loud and banging escape. Fred and George come flying in, literally, with all their expert fireworks and simultaneously ruin the exams, torment Umbridge and the Inquistorial Squad, destroy all the oppressing orders and leave school. It's total anarchy, and I love it!
2) Ron on the love potion in Half Blood Prince- This film was so full of hormones, and then when you add a very powerful love potion in the mix, you get something quite epic. Rupert Grint has such an expressive face. He goes from being a lovesick boy, to misunderstood teenage within seconds. Also Harry's expert dry humour is pretty complimentary.
1) Ron and Hermione's fight in Sorcerer's Stone- You know what I'm talking about.
"It's LeviOsa, not Leviosar!"
Probably one of the most iconic and beloved Harry Potter scenes ever. Ron and Hermione are always fighting, but that's what makes their romance all the more adorable. Plus, no one does know-it-all like Hermione.
Favourite Heartfelt Scenes: These scenes can be warm or devastatingly sad...but these are the ones that I will always remember. Most of these make me cry...yes I am a huge crybaby.
Honourable Mentions- Hermione in the Yule Ball in Goblet of Fire (though Hermione was never ugly, this was a fantastic beautiful-swan moment), the epilogue in Deathly Hallows, part 2 (could have been so much better, but it is our goodbye to the Boy Wizard and his friends forever), the talk between Dumbledore and Harry in Sorcerer's Stone- "Love Harry, love." (Just because I wanted an even number for this list..I love Dumbledore so much!).
10) After Dumbledore's death in Half Blood Prince- Albus Dumbledore, who is like a father and friend to everyone in Hogwarts, is no more. The Dark Mark looms over Hogwarts, but then all the students and staff light their wands and the little individual pinpricks of light disintegrate the mark, and while everything is not made better, hope remains.
9) When Harry first meets Hagrid in Sorcerer's Stone- It isn't much of a scene, but just the sentence that would change everything- "You're a wizard Harry." Probably the most important sentence in all of the films. I love Daniel Radcliffe's expressions throughout this too.
8) The end of Chamber of Secrets- First there is the much-loved hug between Harry and Hermione and the foreshadow-y almost-hug between Ron and Hermione. And then Hagrid comes back from Azkaban and thanks the trio, to which Harry replies "There is no Hogwarts without you Hagrid." And then everyone celebrates. It's just so lovely.
7) The Prince's Tale in Deathly Hallows, part 2- I am guessing that as time goes by this scene will only rise, in respect and love, for me. But for now... Anyways, Snape is such an amazing character and this scene just took the viewers, along with Harry, somewhere else
6) Voldemort possesses Harry in Order of Phoenix- From the sadness and emptiness that Voldemort makes him feel, to Harry fighting back because of the love and friendship in him- this scene was the first time I properly wept in a Harry Potter film. It was intense.
5) Harry riding Buckbeak in Prisoner of Azkaban- One of the most beautifully shot scenes in the film, it makes me feel as free as Harry. It's kind of like the Captain Jack Sparrow quote in Curse of the Black Pearl- this incredible ride, over the Great Lake, is like freedom.
4) Griffindor winning the house cup at the end of Sorcerer's Stone- Dumbledore awards last minute points to the losing house Griffindor-
"To Miss. Hermione Granger, for the cool use of intellect when others were in grave peril. 50 points. Second, to Mr. Ronald Weasley, for the best-played game of chess Hogwarts has seen these many years. 50 points. And third, to Mr. Harry Potter, for pure nerve and outstanding courage. I award Gryffindor House 60 points. And finally, it takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to your enemies. But a great deal more to stand up to your friends. I award 10 points to Neville Longbottom."
Makes my heart swell up just reading this. Ofcourse, the expressions of everyone from Harry to Ron to Malfoy to McGonagall to Neville etc. are an added treat.
3) Harry and Hermione dance in Deathly Hallows, part 1- Probably the most unexpected scene ever, yet so natural. Oh this was controversial, especially with all the Ron-Hermione shippers, but the relationship between Harry and Hermione in the films is so special and sweet. They are like the poster couple for platonic love. This scene is cute and heart-warming, and Nick Cave is sexy.
2) Dobby's death in Deathly Hallows, part 1- This ruined me! I was saddened by Dobby's death in the book, but my god Dobby was such an adorable and brilliant little hero. The importance of friendship for him, especially that of Harry Potter's, is inspiring. Wept for like hours.
1) The Trio talking after Harry's kiss with Cho in Order of Phoenix- I have no idea why, but this scene is just so close to my heart. This was a totally real scene, especially the laughing, and well, not a great testament to the acting skills of the actors. But that is what the films and these characters are for me- they're real. It is so honest and cute and I just adore this teeny, but splendid scene.
These scenes don't really fall into any of the above categories, but I really enjoyed them too-
1) The Story of the Three Brothers in Deathly Hallows, part 1- Never, in a million years, did I think that such a scene would be there in a Harry Potter film. The fantastic animation, and Emma Watson's beautiful narration, and obviously the depth of the story...mindblowing!
2) Harry battles the Hungarian Horntail in Goblet of Fire- My mother loves this film because of the action sequences. The underwater scene is, I guess, more ingenious, but the Horntail is vicious, and Harry is braver than ever.
3) The time turner um...thing in Prisoner of Azkaban- Such a flawed concept, but it made perfect, and pretty entertaining sense in the film. Add to that the spunky Hermione and a very very dark atmosphere.
4) The Wizard's Chess scene in Sorcerer's Stone- Again, so entertaining, and the first time we understand the lengths Ron and Hermione are willing to go for Harry.
Hope you enjoyed this :)