Thursday 13 October 2011

Thoughts

1) Okay so this has been bugging me for quite sometime now, but everytime I sit down to type these thoughts, I forget about it. Walter Salles's adaptation of Beat classic On The Road was supposed to come out this year. I had originally gotten interested because of Tom Sturridge, who is sort of like my underrated-actor-I-have-been-waiting-to-properly-get-discovered-person. I'm sure everyone has their own versions of him. However the film has a great many actors I like- Sam Riley from Control, Kristen Stewart in a non-Bella avatar, Kirsten Dunst, Viggo Mortensen, Amy Adams and Garrett Hedlund (who I don't particularly like but meh), and Walter Salles is pretty well-known for Bicycle Diaries, which I've seen the beginning of, but will finish watching some day soon. And then ofcourse there is the source material. On The Road by Jack Kerouac is among the great classics of 20th century, and this is how I think of it: it inspired Bob Dylan, who in turn directly or indirectly inspired all musicians after him. So in theory all music we know now wouldn't really exist without this one book, and I'm just talking about music here. I mean there's literature and ideas and culture and everything. It's so friggin' important and so why the hell is it not releasing?! A friend of mine who shares similar feelings towards Sturridge as me believes it is because he is a sort of curse to his films, which is not completely a baseless accusation, but MY GOD THIS IS ON THE ROAD! And as written above, a lot of famous, talented people are involved. There isn't even a trailer yet, or a teaser trailer. We live in the age of teaser trailers and teaser posters for crying out loud! Ugh.


2) Speaking of trailers, good week! First we have Young Adult, written by Diablo Cody and directed by Jason Reitman, who brought us the wonderful and quirky Juno. And it stars Charlize Theron and the "girl you hated most in high school" who is back in her home town with a bang! She looks fabulous in this, and I an just getting Miranda Priestly-ish shivers. TOO COOL! Then there is The Avengers trailer, which has been directed by Joss Wheldon of the Buffy-fame. I love a good action film, and this promises to be just that. Awesome trailer and everyone from Samuel L. Jackson, Robert Downey Jr., Chris Evans, Chris Hemsworth, Mark Ruffalo, Scarlett Johannson and ofcourse, my newest favourite supervillain- Tom Hiddleston as Loki, are all there. I am so bloody excited for this film!! Finally the trailer for Albert Nobbs starring Glenn Close, Mia Wasikowska, Brendan Gleeson, Aaron Johnson and Jonathan Rhys Meyers(?!) which just came out. I think it looks adorable, though I can't shake the feeling that it is this year's equivalent to The King's Speech. Well as long as it doesn't win any undeserved Oscars, I'm looking forward to this too.


3) I had my first David Lynch experience with Mulholland Drive today. Um, yeah...I'll get back to you on that.


4) I want to do the stereotypical yet fun Horror Movies Marathon for Halloween thing this year. I'm not the biggest fan of the genre, but I would prefer sort of atmospheric horror over gross gore, like The Others over Saw. Any suggestions?


5) I saw The Princess Bride twice last week, and it has just reinforced my love for the cult epic.
I just adore this film

Toodles.

5 comments:

  1. I have to wonder about On the Road, too. I thought it was supposed to come out this year, but that's not the case. It's kind of odd that they have just left it to go un-noticed, especially considering the cast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My first Lynch film was Eraserhead! It was not really cool. Not at all.

    I haven't seen Albert Nobbs trailer yet, but as for Young Adult and The Avengers, they are kind of nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Stevee- I know right. Apparently the trailer will come out in January. These kind of films should be released now because I guess they'll target the awards more than the audience. I dunno.

    @Lesya- I will eventually watch Eraserhead, but I have heard Mulholland Drive is one of Lynch's more accessible films, so I don't know what.
    Albert Nobbs looks nice...I'm excited for what this means for Close and Wasikowska. And yes both of those trailers are very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been waiting for On the road for a year now, ever since it started filming :) I know you don't like Garrett Hedlund, but he is my Tom Sturridge, if you know what I mean- trust me, he will surprise you in this part, I heard he is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahaha...yes I guess that makes sense. I really don't see him as Dean, but gah when will it release?!
    Thanks for commenting :)

    ReplyDelete