1) This is really the most important news- Paul Rudd is going to be Ant-Man in Edgar Wright's Ant-Man!!! Hurrah!!!!!! I lurve Paul Rudd and I really admire Wright for choosing actors like Rudd or Simon Pegg or Michael Cera, who aren't really "hero material" but they totally kick ass in his movies. Rudd will be playing Scott Lang and none other than Michael Douglas will play Dr. Hank Prym who in the comics is apparently the original Ant-Man and the guy who invents the technology that enables people to get minitiurized or whatever. The film will release in the 2015 during the slot when the Batfleck-Superman movie was going to come out. The latter has changed dates because of some reason that I don't care about.
2) Casting: Daniel Radcliffe continues to build an interesting career and his next project is Brooklyn Bridge about the brilliant but rookie engineer who has to oversee the building of the Brooklyn Bridge after the death of his father. There's a rumour that Gwyneth Paltrow will play his wife. I hope to god that does not happen because it is wrong on so many levels. Joseph Gordon-Levitt is going to star in the fictional take on renowned documentary Man on Wire. It is called To Reach the Clouds and it will be directed by Robert Zemeckis. The John Belushi biopic starring Emile Hirsch as the titular character has found its Dan Aykroyd in The Spectacular Now's Miles Teller. In spite of what I felt about the movie, I think Teller has great potential and this film sounds really interesting. Sarah Paulson has joined the cast of the Todd Haynes-directed Carol which will have Cate Blanchett and Rooney Mara playing the leads. I love this beyond words. The Duchess of Ray Bridge herself, Margot Robbie is going to play Jane in the upcoming Tarzan movie that has Alexander Skarsgard donning the loincloth (hopefully!) and swinging from trees as our hero. This will obviously be a hot effing movie and I almost wish that it is R-rated because why not :)
3) Joe Wright's Pan is building up quite an ensemble. Hugh Jackman is going to play Blackbeard, the villain, and Garrett Hedlund is going to play Captain Hook who isn't apparently bad in this version. It was previously reported Hedlund would play Peter Pan which I thought was just strange, but Hedlund and Jackman will be a nice pair of hot pirates. Now we just have to cast Keira Knightley as Wendy or Tinkerbell.
4) So Quentin Tarantino wrote a first draft of a proper western, since Django Unchained wasn't proper enough or whatever, called "The Hateful Eight" but someone leaked it online, causing him shelve the project completely. While it is true that I will follow Tarantino to the ends of earth and he might be the only person who can get me interested in westerns, I am kind of glad because I want him to tackle new genres and give them his Tarantino-ian twist. It seems that is exactly what might be in store for us because he may be working on a script based on the Robert Blake case, about a 70s TV star who murdered his wife and was sued by his children. It could be a legal thriller, which in itself is a pretty cool genre, but what Tarantino will do with it is even more fun to speculate about. Could he possible go back to something like Jackie Brown even? Now I'm getting excited!
5) Rumour has it that Pixar might be making it's own Star Wars movie. I have nothing more to say other than I WANT IT NOW!!!!!!
6) The Sundance Film Festival just got over and many of the indies that we might be talking about the rest of the year till next awards season were shown. The films that have caught my eye the most are Whiplash, which won a number of prizes, starring Miles Teller and J.K. Simmons, Richard Linklater's epic that took twelve years to make, Boyhood, Anton Corbijn's A Most Wanted Man starring Philip Seymour Hoffman, Fassy-in-a-head movie, Frank, the Belle and Sebastian movie, God Help the Girl, Life After Beth starring Dane DeHaan and a zombified Aubrey Plaza (which sounds so perfect!!) and vampire flick A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night. Also, The Raid 2: Berandal has gotten some rave reviews so really excited about that one too.
7) Lately, I have been reading a lot on the inevitable Jennifer Lawrence backlash. I think it is a really interesting cultural phenomenon, or rather she is. For someone who was so widely loved this time last year, a lot of people seem to despise her at present. But this is balanced by an equally rabid group of fangirls who will like cut you, virtually of course, if you say anything bad about her. I find it fascinating because JLaw at present represents both sides of our "Tumblr" age. Also the fact the she is probably the only female towards whom there is such complete devotion. I get why people like her- she's funny, pretty, relatable, a good actor and she is part of one of the biggest franchises in the world right now. I also get why people don't like her- all those incessant Buzzfeed posts, Oscar + Catching Fire + American Hustle + another Oscar nomination which is definitely undeserved. The fact that both of these things have happened within the course of one year is kind of unfortunate, because she has at least 3 big releases in the next two years, Mockingjay parts 1 and 2 and X-Men: Days of Future Past, so she's not going anywhere any time soon. And the dissenting voices will become even louder if by any chance she does manage to win the Oscar because it will then definitely become a popularity thing. This will be bad for both parties, even though the fangirls may not realise it yet, because she *will* almost definitely peak then and we might have to wait quite a while before she can give her next great performance that people will care about. I for one am still a fan, of both Jennifer Lawrence, the actress, and Jennifer Lawrence, the personality. Even if she might be putting on a show, I like that a 23 year old can be both neurotic and charming and may not have everything figured out even though she's a huge star. It's affirming.
8) Score-wise: Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross have re-teamed with David Fincher and are going to score his upcoming thriller, Gone Girl. I still listen to The Social Network score and I just rewatched The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and its opening continues to give me chills. Also, Carter Burwell will score the aforementioned Carol (and not Clint Mansell, *who* scored Stoker. I'm and idiot) so that is awesome. Most importantly though, Danny Elfman will score Fifty Shades of Grey! Woo hoo! I'm so excited to hear the music between the spanking and the sex noises!!!!!!
9) Speaking of, the teaser poster of Fifty Shades of Grey has released. It looks a lot like Dhoom 3's poster, which is just an odd connection. I don't like the font but Jamie Dornan, if it indeed is him, has a nice suit and a nice butt. These are my observations.
10) Andrew of Encore's World of Film & TV is doing his Motifs in Cinema blogathon again and I will be taking part this time 'round. I will be looking at the "coming of age" movies of 2013.
11) Trailers- Starred Up starring Jack O'Connell and Rupert Friend looks like a pretty intense film. I have loved O'Connell since his Skins days and this is a good year for him (he is the lead in Angelina Jolie's Unbroken). Karen Gillan stars in creepy horror flick Oculus. I was anyways going to watch it for Gillan but apparently it's also pretty good according to the TIFF'13 reports, so yaay. There isn't a trailer out yet but the clip from Fassy and Domhnall Gleeson starrer Frank looks really quirky and fun. Coming to television, Sam Mendes-produced Penny Dreadful has two teasers out (1, 2) and looks kind of generic but I love Eva Green and my 13 year old self still believes in Josh Hartnett, so I will be keeping an eye out for it. Finally, Hannibal season 2's trailer is out and it's beautiful. Can't wait for more murders that look like pretty works of art and Mads Mikkelsen in a bloody unbuttoned shirt!
12) Finally, Jonah Hill is living every girl's dream-
Forget getting Oscars for their performances in WoWS, they should be getting fucking Oscars for this! I heart them so much.
I also want to marry Leonardo DiCaprio.
Clint Mansell scored Stoker, I actually confuse him and Burwell a lot myself, not as often as with Cliff Martinez though.ReplyDelete
Jonah is not living my dream on those gifs as I'm totally not into Leo but damn Hill is definitely living my dream given how cool people he is working with are.
I for one cannot stand Lawrence because of how overhyped she is but two main things I hate about her are - her crazed, ridiculous fans - I mean if someone says something about one of people I adore I usually let it go because I don't give a fuck what some random person thinks. But those losers? Wow. Another thing is how incredibly spoiled and rude she is. Reporters have been so kind to her and she is acting in such an ungrateful way. Luckily Serena will suck so bad it will kill the hype about this brat for a long, long time.
All this is bringing back my Titanic-feels so I'm falling in love with Leo all over again.
I agree about the fans. I don't think she acts particularly spoiled. That one press conference is the only thing I can think of. A lot of celebrities I like have done much worse but on the whole they're all good and fun people, or at least they appear to be.
As for Serena, I don't think it will be a particularly good movie from the looks of it but I think JLaw is very much going to be in the public eye for at least the next two years. I think she will always have great star power and she's pretty talented, so I don't think the hype will ever be gone. Hopefully the psychotic fans will be distracted by a new shiny thing though. That should calm things down.
I'm glad you're still a JLaw fan because I am too - I think a lot of criticism towards her is unfair at times (although the SAG award press conference fiasco definitely made me lose love/respect for her) but I enjoy her acting, I think she's hilarious and she doesn't hide away from who she is to fit a "Hollywood mould".ReplyDelete
On a separate note the Jonah Hill and Leonardo DiCaprio SNL moment has made my week!
I'm glad you're a fan. I don't really think that one press conference ruined her for me. It was very overblown.Delete
It made my life :)
I just saw that clip w/ Leo and Jonah Hill... that is so funny. What will it take for Leo to host SNL? The dude is funny.ReplyDelete
I'm also stoked about Reznor/Ross doing the score for Gone Girl. More new NIN music coming this year and maybe another U.S. tour from the band. I will definitely be there (unless the Stones are coming to Atlanta).
An Oscar. Just give him one, already! I will say that WoWS has totally made me start seeing him in a totally new "comedic" light though.Delete
Ugh, no one comes to India for concerts. I am really stoked about Reznor/Ross doing the score too. Loved their previous two scores.
YES! I wanted to find a gif of Leo and Jonah "flying" so badly! I'm all for the Ant Man casting too, and the JGL casting. I hope to God Gwyneth doesn't play Daniel Radcliffe's wife. She's like a foot taller than him, it would be so awkward! Plus she's kind of the worst.ReplyDelete
Haha you're welcome :PDelete
It would be super duper awkward. I like Paltrow but I can't even visualise this pairing.
Hey, wanna gatecrash Leo and Jonah's wedding? I wanna be best friends with those two.ReplyDelete
As for JLaw - I finally saw American Hustle and I didn't really like it all that much, but I didn't really see Jen as the character she was supposed to be playing. She was fine, but I wouldn't be calling it a performance worthy of all the attention it is getting. Lupita, all the way. However, if The Hunger Games were made before Tumblr and she was cool before Tumblr then maybe this backlash wouldn't have arrived so soon. I mean, I love her personality, but Tumblr really likes making the same gifsets of all her funny jokes all of the time, and it gets so annoying. Her fanbase is kinda crazy, which makes me a little sad because the JLaw from Winter's Bone and The Poker House and even X-Men: First Class was the JLaw that I loved. I love her in The Hunger Games, I just don't love what comes with it. It was inevitable, though. IDK what I'm even trying to say, but I just have so many conflicting JLaw feels.
YESSS! Let's :D Me too, man.Delete
I get what you're feeling. Totes agree on AH. I really feel JLaw is still the same person, but it's the attention and the hype that's making it all a bit insufferable.
I don't know all that much about the wrong things JLaw has done, but honestly, people can be such drama queens. I'd like to see the haters being the center of attention, having their every word recorded and scrutinised, and see if they wouldn't slip every now and then too. Sure, the SAG conference was weird, but we all have our shitty moments. Anyway, love or hate her, everybody's talking about it.ReplyDelete
Damn that man does look good on the fifty poster! But valentine's day? How romantic.
I MUST see that SNL episode, I didn't even read all the gifs, just having those two making fun of each other sounds perfect!
Yep, agreed!! That's exactly it! People can't stop talking about it. It's not even like it's some big news, it's the people that are making it seem like something important.Delete
Haha he does. Oh, nothing says love like a pair of handcuffs :P
They're super duper perfect.
I still love J Law. She's a fantastic actress and I feel like it would be really fun to go out to a bar with her. Should she win an Oscar for AH? Probably not. But I still loved her in it. That's just me.ReplyDelete
I died watching SNL. Thanks for letting me relive it!
Me too. She doesn't deserve to win for AH but I still love her. It would be SO much fun going to a bar with her, though I can see myself becoming the sober caretaker in the situation which isn't much fun. Ah well.Delete
Haha, you're welcome :)
I didn't know so many good movies were getting cast with some great actors. Radcliffe's next project sounds interesting but Paltrow as his wife - does not work! The ensemble casting for Pan is something I REALLY need to keep an eye on - sounds amazing!ReplyDelete
Loved the SNL skit with JHill and Leo!
Well, I'm happy to be of assistance :)Delete
I'm super excited for Pan too. I have loved all the Joe Wright movies I have seen.
JHill and Leo = BEST
Give me Pan, Tarantino's next and that Pixar Star Wars film now!!ReplyDelete
Haha, that SNL intro was priceless!
It was. I still have to watch the rest of it.
So glad Thoughts is back! That SNL moment was priceless. I love the way Leo under played it. Hilarious shit.ReplyDelete
Leo has a serious comedic gift. I hope he explores it further.