Sunday 24 June 2012

"I'm a delusion angel. I'm a fantasy parade."


I absolutely adore this scene. Before Sunrise is a fairy tale-like movie because of the very very very high improbability of something like this happening to someone. Recently I read somewhere that "man can believe the impossible but never the improbable". Still the sweetness and the chemistry and just everything between the leads entices us to wish and wish and wish for something like this to happen.


Of all the modern fairy tale elements in the film, the most ethereally romance-y is when this street poet, with his raggedy clothes and cigarettes, sitting at the side of the Danube, offers to write a poem for our protagonists Jesse and Celine around a word they give him, the word being "milkshake". He comes up with this totally beautiful poem which, like many other instances in the movie, fits in with the situation of our young lovers perfectly. 


I have always had a thing for him. From the very first time I saw Before Sunrise. He's so otherworldly and amazing and pathetic, but in a complete romantic sense. It's like he isn't real. He only appears to lovers when they need him, though they don't know it, and maybe the lines in the title of this post are what describes him. He's like a god of love, asking the obvious question to two such people- "Don't you know me? Don't you know me by now?"


I guess I am, paraphrasing something that Jesse says in the movie, just projecting my own romantic ideals on a bum and possible alcoholic, but such is the power of a movie like this. Gah it's so flawless...

2 comments:

  1. "man can believe the impossible but never the improbable" I love this quote, I am writing it down :)

    As for the scene, yes, it's lovely, but my favorite is the record store one, where you can feel the tension between them, or the one in the restaurant....god, that one is lovely! Great movie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha it was a topic on a test :P

      I love those scenes too, but the poet is so fairytale-y. Yes, great movie!!

      Delete