Tuesday 17 April 2012

HATERS GONNA HATE

             In this blog, I usually only write about films that I love. And when I love them, I love them unabashedly and don't care what other people think. But there are also some films that are generally loved by many that I happen to not like at all. I know I wrote 'hate' on the title of this post, but that's just because it sounds cool. Also I feel like being a bit controversial; quoting Todd Ingram, "Sounds like someone wants to get... funky." Well, it is what it is. But still with the exception of maybe a couple, I don't hate any of the following films. I just dislike them.


a) The Pretty Vacant

The Fall (Tarsem, 2006)

I first heard about this film on Tumblr and god does it have mad fans. After seeing it though, I don't know what they were thinking. I mean yes, it is probably one of the most beautiful-looking films that I have ever seen. I love the many instances of Indian imagery, the ambitious locations and the bright colours as well as some truly wonderful moments of childlike wonder that Tarsem was able to capture on screen. But apart from that, this film is dripping in cheap emotion and the story is so bland and weepy that I cannot possibly love it. In the end it reminded me of a quote from Le Petit Prince, "You are beautiful but you are empty. No one can die for you."

Sin City (Frank Miller, 2005)

This is the exact opposite of The Fall in terms of the look. Dark and gritty and mostly in black and white, it does look stunning. But god everyone in it is so repulsive. I hate the characters and their stories. This film makes me feel icky and gross. So many actors but no one to root for in the least.


b) Meh

The Royal Tenenbaums (Wes Anderson, 2001)

Now I love Wes Anderson, but his most popular offering is probably my least favourite from among the ones that I have seen. Sure it has quirky characters and his signature look, but apart from Margot Tenenbaum (who I absolutely worship) and the colours in the film, I could not bring myself to care about anything in it. I actually fell asleep mid-way the first time I saw it.

 Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (George Roy Hill, 1969)

First of all, I am not a Westerns person. Never have been, and after seeing this much-acclaimed and apparently the more-talkative hit of the genre, I don't think I ever will be (gulp!). Again this film did nothing for me. As much as I love Paul Newman's pretty blues, I just couldn't care about anyone in this film. Okay agreed that the train blowing up part and the iconic last scene are quite awesome, but apart from that I couldn't find anything really impressive about this film.

The Hurt Locker (Katherine Bigelow, 2009)

I saw this fairly recently and my expectations for it were sky-high. Unfortunately, it did not deliver according to them. I think I generally take a long time to actually get to watching a war film as the genre makes me uncomfortable, but once there, I really admire the film. But in the case of this "modern classic", apart from maybe the relevance of the location and a ballsy directorial effort, I didn't care much for it. Okay great, war is a drug for some people. So what?


c) Put the Blame on Mame

The Prestige (Christopher Nolan, 2006)

Now this film and the next are not liked by me mostly because of my own misgivings. I was dying to see this film when it came out but couldn't for whatever reason. The people who did see it just raved about it forever, and increased my already gargantuan expectations for this film. When one night it finally came on the telly, I sat down to watch it with a lot of eagerness. But then I felt as though it went on and on (probably because of the commercials), and I got more and more annoyed with it. I was sleepy and irritated and I didn't like the characters of Christian Bale and Hugh Jackman, two actors I usually love. So by the end of it, it became one of my worst movie experiences ever. I think I will eventually give this a chance and maybe start to like, or even love it. But until then, oh pain!

Blue Valentine (Derek Cianfrance, 2010)

If you know me at all, you know of my bordering-on-disturbing love for the endlessly sexy and talented Ryan Gosling. And he delivers one of his best performances in this film, so you can understand how much I wanted to like it. But call it inexperience or naivety or stupidity, Blue Valentine is a film that I could not connect with. Everyone who loves this film does so because of the emotional impact it had on them. Since I couldn't really relate to it, it ended up being a really fruitless experience for me, in spite of that incredible "You Always Hurt The One You Love" scene. It is almost too raw for me. Hopefully in a few years I can love it like others do.


d) All's not well that ends not well

Magnolia (Paul Thomas Anderson, 1999)

Those fucking frogs. *SPOILER ALERT*
I mean I was really into the movie and its mixed bag of unique, lonely characters. And then it starts to rain fucking frogs! Up until then I had associated frogs with science projects and princes. But now- run in the opposite direction!! I mean just look at that picture- eugh. I know it had a Biblical context and that I should look past these things when watching a film and try to look objectively at the whole thing, but goddamnit, I am stubborn and easily-freaked-out wimp-of-a-girl and I will always hate that scene and the movie as a result of it.


e) The Best Best Pictures

No Country for Old Men (The Coen brothers, 2006)

(Loss of followers commencing). I am really sorry, but I do not like this film. There are two reasons for that. One is that the character of Anton Chigurh grips me with paralyzing fear. Like if he, the fucking frogs and maybe a few rabid dogs were put in a movie together and I was made to watch that, I would never make out alive. The other reason is that I don't care about everything else in it. I just do not get why people love it so much. If the answer is the Coen brothers, well, you lost me there too (more followers gone). I'm not a fan of their's, and between the crippling horror and the total indifference, I don't like this film at all. Sue me.

Gone with the Wind (Victor Fleming, 1939)

This one I hate the most out of all of these. I find it painful to sit through. So much unnecessary drama! I must say that I love Vivien Leigh and Clark Gable in it, as well as the look and the costumes, but the story and all the other characters and everything else is annoying. And after 3+ hours of seeing Scarlett marry losers and pining after the hugest loser of all, Ashley Wilkes, with interludes of everyone else just dropping like flies around them, it doesn't end! Oh how that ending infuriates me! Not to mention that Scarlett is probably the biggest idiot in all of cinematic history. Also the most loathsome Melanie and all her self-righteousness that makes me think of the puke-inducing Indian soap operas. God bless Rhett for being the only sane character there and the almost-saving grace of the story. I write almost because frankly my dears, nothing can really save this film in my eyes. Blame it on Scarlett's "massive" 21-inch waist.


           If I have any followers left after this, thank you for sticking with me. Just remember it's one woman's opinion and just how I won't start liking these films no matter what you say, you won't start hating them no matter what I say. 
I hope you enjoyed it. Somewhat. I'll be waiting for the burning torches and stuff.

16 comments:

  1. Impressed that you have done this post! There are a lot of films that everyone else loved and I didn't out there.

    The three on the list I haven't seen are The Fall, Gone with the Wind (I know!) and Magnolia, but, besides that, I've seen the rest!

    While I love Sin City (it's one of my favourites), I can understand why you didn't like it (though there are definitely characters to root for) - and the same for Blue Valentine, too. The latter film rides on people connecting emotionally to it, and I can understand how it would be difficult not to see where it is coming from if you couldn't connect with it on an emotional level.

    The Prestige is ridiculously overrated, though - definitely agree with you on that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks.
      I don't know. I was kind of rooting for Josh Hartnett's character in Sin City, but I was in love with him at the time. I remember rooting for Bruce Willis and then his story becomes weird. Maybe I'll rewatch it again.

      Yeah, even I think The Prestige is a bit overrated. Even if I warm up to it, I think the one of the main twists is so stupidly anachronistic. I don't know if I'll ever get that.

      Delete
  2. This is awesome! I love you even more now - I also dislike "No Country for Old Men". I remember watching this movie and thinking "so, what's so great about it again?". Same with "The Hurt Locker" - it was boring, messy and pointless. And "Blue Valentine" despite fine performances was a disappointment too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks!
      Yeah once the fear had subsided, that's what I found myself asking too.
      Hurt Locker was definitely a disappointment too. As I wrote above, I think you need a strong emotional connection to Blue Valentine in order to not be disappointed by it.

      Delete
  3. Great post! Couldn't agree with you more about Sin City, Royal Tenenbaums and No Country for Old Men. Love the titles for divinding these up as well by the way. Pretty Vacant is the best desription of The Fall and Sin City I've ever heard.

    Hated the frogs in Magnolia. Didn't get the hype with Hurt Locker though there is a lot to like. Haven't seen Gone with the Wind but always hear it compared to Titanic so am hoping for the best.

    Butch Cassidy and Prestige though. Too far! No each to their own though I would recommend giving the latter another chance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :D

      Gone with the Wind's only similarity with Titanic is that it's period and there's a love story involved. Nothing else.

      I'm sorry- I just don't like Westerns. I will give Prestige another try.

      Delete
  4. Your courage is impressive. And I love that you wrote about movies you dislike, and why. But, damn, I need a few minutes to gather my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah well, I wanted to try out something new.
      I like that this is making people think :P

      Delete
  5. LOL at your controversy! I pretty much love all of the films you've put here (apart from Sin City - what do people see in that film?!), but the only thing I find controversial is the word 'hate'. I'm old fashioned, and I find hate a strong word, and when people who claim to love film use it to describe one then they don't love film at all (just my opinion). I don't even hate something as shitty as The Hottie and the Nottie, but I could describe it as: the movie that made me want to cut out my own brain and eat it, because that would be insanely better than watching that movie.

    As for Blue Valentine, you probably do have to have an emotional connection with it to like it. When your parents have gone through a really messy divorce, that movie speaks wonders, and that's why I was drawn to it. So I guess it is good if you don't love it, because you're most likely from a happy family.

    I am confused though - if you don't like The Hurt Locker, then why have you rated it 7.5/10? That seems like a definite 'like' rating from me.

    Good post, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry that this is the limit of my controversy skills! :P
      A lot of people love the films... I was expecting this. I too find hate a strong word. I mean even if I use it to describe a couple of movies over here, be sure that I am in awe of them nonetheless. This is why I don't write about films I dislike generally. Films, no matter what I feel about them, are a gift and are magical.

      Yes I guess. I'm from a different kind of family too. No I have heard a lot of interviews and read stuff about how people love it due to an emotional connection, so I thought that was probably the reason why I did not like it as much.

      About Hurt Locker's rating, well I am generally very lenient in it. There were aspects done well in it, and call me a psuedo-feminist, but I liked that a woman directed it. On a whole though, I was not so taken aback with it. I even gave Antichrist a 6.5/10 and god knows how much I hated that.

      Thanks :D

      Delete
  6. I'm still here, don't worry, I have some shocking choices myself! :) I get why you don't like these movies; I kinda agree with No Country For Old Men, I saw it when it came out and I remember being a little bored by it, plus the fact that it had no music was a little confusing for me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for still being here :)
      Yeah No Country for Old Men does nothing for me.

      Delete
  7. Really? The Prestige and Blue Valentine?? I love these two movies so much! You definitely need to check out The Prestige again, at the very least. It really is an excellent flick, my favorite by Nolan actually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really Castor. Really.
      I will certainly check out The Prestige again. The Dark Knight is my favourite Nolan... highly doubt anything will ever take that spot for me.

      Delete
  8. I fully agree with you on a couple of these. I -hated- The Prestige (yes, Castor, I did). Big dumb movie, big dumb characters all acting in stupid ways in service of a plot device. I don't have a problem with film characters acting in ways I wouldn't; I have a real problem with film characters who act in ways no one would, and The Prestige is filled with that just so we can have the ending Nolan wants. I'm also with you on Sin City for exactly the same reason. When I first started blogging (a site that no longer exists), it was the only film I gave two scores to--one for the look and one for the film itself. Such a great visual style in service of so terrible a set of stories.

    I disagree on No Country and Tenenbaums (and a few others), but hey, to each his or her own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really have to watch The Prestige again with a clear head to see where I stand on it finally, but I get what you are saying. And yes, same here in the case of Sin City!

      Yep- to his or her own :)

      Delete