I controlled myself from using the gif above in the Golden Globes post because I was hoping it could be better served if Leo got an Oscar nomination. AND HE DID!!!!!! I am so happy. I could barely sit through my first French class (Salut everyone).
As usual, the rest of the nominations are a mixed bag. For every Gravity nomination, there is an American Hustle nomination, literally. They each bagged 10 nominations followed by the 9 of 12 Years A Slave. Lee Daniels' The Butler got nothing, so yaay!
Expectations Vs Reality
Best Film: 9 out of 9- Really have to see this Philomania (yaay Steve Coogan's an Oscar nominee)
Best Director: 5 out of 5- Paul Greengrass was phenomenal so it's sad not to see him here.
Best Actress: 5 out of 5- Meryl Streep has 18 acting nominations now.
Best Actor: 4 out of 5- LEOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! Did not expect the Bale nomination and that Tam Honks would get snubbed. I was so looking forward to writing Tam Honks throughout this award season.
Best Supporting Actress: 4/5 out of 5- since I did mention JLaw but it was more of a plea for her not to get nominated. I still love her but man, the backlash is going to be brutal.
Best Supporting Actor: 5 out of 5- Sad about no Franco but hellz yeah for Hill and Fassy (!!!!) getting nominated.
Best Original Screenplay: 4 out of 5- Forgot about Dallas Buyers Club.
Best Adapted Screenplay: 4 out of 5- Didn't predict Philomania but yaay for Coogan again. And the Before Midnight team, duhs.
- Dallas Buyers Club got a nomination for editing? What?
- No Stories We Tell :( I get that 2013 was an exceptional year for documentaries and I am going to watch as many of then as I can, but Sarah Polley's exploration of family and memories is so universal and touching, I really thought it had a chance.
- Happy about The Grandmaster's cinematography and costume design nominations. Of course, Lubezki ought to win the former, but gosh, the clothes in the movie were lovely!
- Of course films like Frances Ha, Spring Breakers and Stoker get nothing. Duh.
- So happy for Barkhad Abdi. Inspirational stuff.
- Yaay Karen O. and Arcade Fire are Oscar nominees!!
- Pacific Rim didn't get nominated for Best Visual Effects? What the fucking hell? These people deserve to be eaten by kaijus.
And that's it. Au revoir and bonne nuit!