Wednesday, 7 May 2014

The Ten: Most Iconic Movie Characters



        There's a new relay race by My Filmviews and Anna from Defiant Success has tagged me and so here I am. These are the rules:


A list of 10 iconic movie characters has been made. That list will be assigned to another blogger who can then change it by removing one character (describing why they think it should not be on the list) and replace it with another one (also with motivation) and hand over the baton to another blogger. Once assigned, that blogger will have to put his/her post up within a week. If this is not the case the blogger who assigned it has to reassign it to another blogger. After you have posted your update leave the link in the comments here and I will make sure it gets added to the overview post.

First, the race so far:

The Iconic Characters
Rocky Balboa

James Bond

Ellen Ripley

E.T.

Dorothy Gale

Indiana Jones

Darth Vader

Mary Poppins

Han Solo


Who I'm removing
Michael Myers

The Halloween movies are definitely part of movie history but I feel that some others like Megan MacNeil from The Exorcist and Ghostface from Scream have become more iconic. Also, I couldn't really touch any of the other characters.


Now for my pick, I had to brainstorm quite a bit. I really wanted to choose a female character and was *this* close to picking Holly Golightly when I figured that she is perhaps more of a cultural and fashion icon than a movie one. Next I thought about going with some really sexy character and then it dawned on me:

My choice
Mrs. Robinson

Mrs. Robinson is arguably the sexiest movie character of all time (followed by Stanley Kowalski and Indiana Jones). Her icon status is almost aspirational. Women wish they could be as attractive as her and I'm fairly sure every guy wants her. But of course if you've watched the movie, you see the main reason why Mrs. Robinson is so enticing- we barely know anything about her. We don't even know her first name for crying out loud! Yet there is so many little clues for us to ponder over about what kind of a person she is and what sort of a life she might have led. She is the most interesting character in the movie by a mile and the one we end up remembering the most and not just because of the legs (again, the sexiest legs in movie history followed by Dr. Frank-N-Furter's). Just like Benjamin, she has seduced us, and I think she deserves a spot in this list for that.


        I now pass the baton on to my fellow chick with accent, Mette from Lime Reviews and Strawberry Confessions.

22 comments:

  1. BRILLIANT!!!!!!!!!!!!

    I can't say that enough. I don't know why I didn't think of her, but I really wish that I had!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!!!!!!!

      Haha, she's awesome!

      Delete
  2. A great swap right here. What's so crazy about this performance is that, in real life, Bancroft was only 6 years older than Hoffman. But she totally sold Mrs. Robinson with confidence and sexuality. Love her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It's totally nuts but both of them were excellent in their respective roles.

      Delete
  3. Terrific choice for an iconic character! Anne Bancroft is the classiest of broads. One of my favorite movies and just read the book - Mrs. Robinson is equally fantastic and alluring in print.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a book?! :O Must read that asap.

      Thank you for the comment :)

      Delete
  4. ahhh which means i should probably finally watch the graduate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You REALLY should! Btw, I absolutely adore Cher too :)

      Delete
  5. Good choice both ways... I am not biggest fan of Horror films. So I think Michael Myers is the one that could be left out from the list and Mrs. Robinson is a great addition - a character made immortal by one dialogue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm okay with horror films. Well, make that one dialogue and a pair of awesome legs (okay, I may be a little obsessed)

      Delete
  6. Preach. This list is brilliant, and Mrs. Robinson is such an icon even today! And hail to Ellen Ripley for being on this list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Ellen Ripley is totally a badass mofo.

      Delete
  7. Lovely choice and I adore your reasoning behind it, but damn I wish more horror movie icons were here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I was v. close to choosing Regan tbh but I just felt Mrs. Robinson was more iconic.

      Delete
  8. Aww, I'm bummed Michael is gone, but I love your reasoning for adding Mrs. Robinson. I've never even seen the movie, but I certainly feel like I have sometimes when people talk about her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need to watch it at once! She's amazeballs.

      Delete
  9. Very interesting addition! Thanks for participating in this relay race!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and you are welcome :)

      Delete
  10. Bond is my favorite and thanks for sharing this list

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bond is a badass. You are welcome :)

      Delete
  11. NO!!! Sad to see Michael Myers ousted, but Mrs. Robinson is an AWESOME choice. Truly an iconic character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's amazeballs. #rolemodel #kinda

      Delete