1) I had spoken of this exactly a year back, about how Cate Blanchett and Mia Wasikowska have been cast in the adaptation of a Patricia Highsmith's novel, which will be called Carol. Boy A director John Crowley was going to helm the project that was about two women in the 50s in a relationship. Crowley has unfortunately left the project, but replacing him is none other than Todd Haynes. Haynes has made films like Velvet Goldmine, Far From Heaven and I'm Not There and I feel is more than capable for a story and cast like this. This is v.v.v. exciting news indeed.
2) Evan Peters of the American Horror Story fame is going to star as Quick Silver in X-Men: Days of Future Past. This is sort of unfortunate, even though I quite like Peters, as Joss Whedon had earlier announced that the character of Quick Silver and his sibling hero Scarlet Witch will be joining The Avengers 2. As much as I enjoyed X-Men: First Class, it was more because of the combined beauty and bromance of McFassy and very little else. And let's not get into how much I loved The Avengers. It will now be interesting to watch how they settle this whole dilemma.
3) The Fault in Our Stars movie has cast its Augustus Waters. Ansel Elgort, who will also be seen in the new Carrie and the new sci-fi film Divergent is going to play the beloved character of Gus. Funnily, Elgort is playing the brother of Shailene Woodley, who has been cast as TFiOS's protagonist Hazel Grace, in Divergent. I am not that impressed by this casting choice as he just doesn't look like the Gus I had imagined. Also, I wish I had seen him in something. We'll see how this works out. I really hope they do the book justice, and a big part of that will be having the right Gus.
4) Posters and pictures- Woody Allen's next Blue Jasmine has a poster out. It's an okay poster on its own, but gosh I want this film!!! Pictures-wise, instead of linking to some new promotional pics, I want to share these incredible 100 behind-the-scenes pictures from 100 movies. Some of them are just gob-smacking. 2001, GoldenEye, Kill Bill Vol. 1- everything!!!
5) The second episode of Across the Universe Podcast is up. We discuss The Great Gatsby.
6) So if you did hear the podcast, I bitched a little about the unnecessary lingerie shot of Alice Eve in Star Trek Into Darkness. Apparently, so did a lot of others, which is why J.J. Abrams apologised and spoke about how the film was actually going to have a small scene of Benedict Cumberbatch's character showering to balance it. YES IT SHOULD HAVE!
7) Trailers- My most anticipated film of the year, The World's End has a full trailer out now. If I had to choose only two films to watch this entire year, it would be this and Before Midnight. I need them. Even though I audibly groaned when I saw Jennifer Aniston's name in the cast, We're The Millers actually looks really hilarious. Mostly 'cuz Nick Offerman is awesome. Ain't Them Bodies Saints looks really, really good. I love the look and the cast, and I swear I had thought of a similar idea for a story a few years back. Ah well, c'est la vie. I want to watch Metallica Through the Never for Dane DeHaan but I am really not a Metallica person :/ The trailer of the week is Don Jon, which is the directorial debut of Joseph Gordon-Levitt, who is also the lead. Co-starring are Scarlett Johansson and Julianne Moore. I think this is going to be weird and hilarious and JGL and ScarJo look brilliant.
8) Finally, I saw this on Tumblr yesterday and haven't stopped laughing since-
He looks so cool :')